Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Google or Mozilla Problem?

I used to be incredibly loyal to Internet Explorer. Mostly because I didn't know any better. Before the last 2 years, I didn't care much about what was going on in the technology space as long as I could access my gmail account, facebook, and Google search. And, part of me was very proud of this - Why care about technology when you can read about ancient Greeks? (albeit certainly not in the ancient Greek itself...)

Amazing how things change. Now, my job centers around me being technologically savvy. I still doubt that I will ever have any programming or computer science skills to speak of, but I have to stay on top of what's going on in the tech space so I can pass it along to my company's customers or potential customers. I also must possess a working tech literacy so I can translate techie's ideas into appealing English so that they can in turn sell their products and services (it's amazing how difficult this can be if you do not understand what the product or service is...)

However, my technological knowledge base shifted when I was introduced to Mozilla Firefox search browser about 3 years ago. At the time, it had a "tabbing" feature that IE did not and was generally faster at enabling Google searches. It also came with the snazzy Google toolbar. All great things. Of course, IE has since done just about everything to catch up with Mozilla since then, but I still prefer Mozilla because until recently IE often had more problem running applications I regularly use (except Webex... ) With the release of Mozilla 3.0, I seem to have nothing but problems with Mozilla. Or at least when it is trying to open Google applications.

This leads me to ask: Is Google sabotaging Mozilla's effectiveness because it released its own internet browser?

I would certainly hope not based on Google's goal of providing the Internet to the masses with ease at any possible location. If this is indeed the case, shame on Google. Google has gained its reputation by being the best (anyone remember the release of Cuil at the end of July?) and should go forward with the same approach. I'm certainly not going to cease using Google and its apps (since I'm obviously posting on Blogger), but will be hesitant to embrace new ones going forward. On the other hand, maybe it's simply a glitch in the new Mozilla browser. Regardless, this is a problem Google should be aware of since it's reflecting negatively on them, which never helps with user loyalty regardless of how cool a new app may be. And, Mozilla should be aware of the problems with Google apps as well if it wants to keep its nitch user-base happy.

On a slightly related note, if Apple tries to make me download Safari one more time when I'm updating iTunes I might have to buy a Zune when my old iPod finally stops working. This illustrates the beauty of technological innovation: there's always something new, better, and faster to keep all the tech company's on their toes thus creating better products for us mere users.

No comments: