Monday, May 4, 2009

New Life Goal

My husband and I spent the last weekend driving approximately 1,300 miles through 8 states. It rained... make that down poured... 75% of the time. We saw actual slivers of blue sky exactly once. I have never seen so many trailer parks in my entire life and I grew up in a very poor area of the country. If this example were on the SAT... Trailer Parks are to Missouri as Cows are to Wisconsin. I'm still a little taken aback by all the "scenery" we took in. I will probably post some of my favorites when I fire my camera back up.

That being said, I was glad we were able to go to our friend's wedding. I am very pro-supporting friends and sharing their big life experiences with them. So, that part was good.

However, this trip prompted my next major goal: Never venturing outside of the city limits of a locale that has a population less than 500,000. This will most likely be difficult if I ever want to see my family or home town friends again, so I doubt it will seriously happen. If only it were an ideal world and all my friends and family lived in the downtown areas of the biggest cities in the country. And we had light rail connecting them when not wanting to battle airport traffic. That would be a grand thing.

So, if you're ever with me when I have to go outside of the perimeter I will start hyperventilating... which is why I can't drive in those situations. There is no longer any "country mouse" side of me despite my upbringing. This has its downsides and maybe even makes me a bit of a snob, but after this trip I just don't care. Give me my bustling, shiny cities or give me panic-induced, hyperventilating, heart attack or car accidental death.

Oh, and remind me NEVER to complain about living in Atlanta ever again. It may not be New York City or Boston or Chicago, but if one must live in the South East it certainly is the best option available (outside of some select cities in Florida.) Never has there been a more beautiful sight that driving over a hill and seeing the Atlanta sky line.

No comments: