Friday, November 14, 2008

What A Rant

I've been working up a rant (big surprise) about the election, American political thought (among the masses, not academics. There's an alarming gap between the two on both sides of the spectrum and they deserve different treatments), and what the hell happened to the conservatives in America? I happen to have a slightly different definition of conservatism than many who call themselves conservatives, but the discussion of that definition is for another day... or at least its own post.

However, my fellow contributor came across P.J. O'Rourke's rant that is featured in The Weekly Standard. After reading this rant, I feel speechless because I honestly am not sure if I'm capable of writing anything that is as angry and dripping with sarcasm as this article. For the most part, I think he's accurate, even if crude. I'm sure over the next 4 years that my frustration will rise to a point that many political/societal rants will be expressed in this blog, yet for this moment O'Rourke's is enough for me. And, I'm sure countless more people listen to him than will even listen to me, so I'll save it for now.

Part of the political idealism I continue to suppress in myself daily rises when I strategize on how to help reform the American political make-up that surely will occur in the coming decade. Then, reality strikes, and I remember that this is no superficial problem. If people's fundamental views of what government is, what its reasonable abilities are, and what they can reasonably expect to receive from a proper constitutional government do not change, then there is no point. And, frankly, I'm much more willing to spend my time improving my career and socking away money so that if the worst case scenario is ushered in with the help of the Dems in 2009, at least I won't have to worry about where my rent is coming from.

I just wish that they [our illustrious government representatives] didn't have so much power at their disposal to enact policies to promote "change." Maybe at the end of the day this is why I am a conservative - I certainly want a kind of change that is positive. For example, I would be incredibly happy if the Dow ceases fluctuating as much in a day as in the past is has in a year. I like change that is stabilizing. But, I don't want it to come from government initiatives that are likely to do more harm than good because the Dems have just been handed their Thanksgiving feast 3 weeks early. Cornucopias never run out, right? This abundance of power may not run out for at least 4 years either, but who knows what will lie in its wake. And, as much as I want to be optimistic, it's hard when I know that these representatives may genuinely care about "fixing America's problems," but do not fundamentally understand the role of American constitutional government or a free market economy. Or, even better, if they do understand them, they reject them. And, that is a philosophical view I will not ever accept.

If I'm ambitious enough, I will post a series of entries on FDR and his policies including the New Deal. These will illustrate my disdain for the impending political actions being discussed by the transition team, including executive orders being ushered out on Obama's inauguration day, and the historical basis that shapes my views. It may not be riveting stuff, but has profoundly affected my views and think it might do the same for others especially in light of the current economic and political shifts that have occurred in America this year.

No comments: